Exhibits and Awards
Convergence® is a highly anticipated, biennial opportunity to view hundreds of juried fiber art in a variety of exhibition settings.
Enter your artwork to be seen on the world's stage. Small Expressions will be on view July 2022 at the UT Downtown Gallery and all other exhibitions will be on view July 15 - 18, 2022 at the Knoxville Convention Center.
A prospectus for each exhibit including description, requirements, juror, entry fees and deadlines is available online. As always, entry fees for HGA individual, family, and professional artist members are discounted. Students with proof of enrollment at an accredited institution will receive complimentary entry.
- Small Expressions 2022 is an annual touring juried exhibit of small-scale fiber art not to exceed 15 inches (38cm) in any direction.
- Seasons of the Smokies, Wearable Art Exhibit features the work of juried and invitational artists, including the Student Fashion Design Challenge wearable art fashions. Any fiber arts technique may be used. Exhibit will be displayed first in a runway fashion show and then as a traditional exhibit.
- Dogwood to Kudzu, Basketry Exhibit, sponsored by Marcy Petrini and Terry Dwyer, features functional or nonfunctional, traditional or nontraditional forms in basketry techniques.
- Vistas along the Appalachian Trail, Yardage Exhibit is open to lengths of constructed and or embellished yardage. Any fiber arts technique may be used.
- Symphony of the Mountains, Mixed Media Exhibit is open to work created in any media using a fiber arts technique.
Competition and Exhibit
Skein Competition and Exhibit, sponsored by The Natural Twist, LLC
A spinning competition: Skeins will be judged on criteria including overall appearance, singles, plying, dyeing/blending, and appropriate presentation. Download complete Guidelines
Leaders Exhibit, sponsored by Eugene Textile Center
Features recent works created by the Convergence 2022 Leaders who teach and inspire in all areas of art.
Interns Exhibit, sponsored by the 2018-2019 HGA Board of Directors
Features recent works created by the Convergence 2022 Interns who are students enrolled in accredited fiber arts programs in North America - be sure to see these works from the next generation of fiber artists.
Juried Exhibit Awards
- Cash prizes provided by HGA include: First Place ($500), Second Place ($250), and Third Place ($100) for awards totaling $850+.
- Additional Honors and/or cash prizes may be sponsored by individuals or groups.
- Winning pieces will be published in Shuttle Spindle & Dyepot magazine.
- Winning pieces will be featured on HGA's Instagram and Facebook.
Entry Fees per Piece
- $0 - Students (with HGA Student membership or proof of current enrollment)
- $17 - HGA Members
- $25 - Non-HGA Members
February 5, 2020 - Symphony of the Mountains, Mixed Media Exhibition
February 12, 2020 - Vistas along the Appalachian Trail, Yardage Exhibition
February 26, 2020 - Seasons of the Smokies, Wearable Art Exhibition
March 4, 2020 - Dogwood to Kudzu, Basketry Exhibition